Cavity wall insulation and loft insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. Been getting some flyers from British Gas of recent promoting the above for from £199 each (making from £398 for both) for a standard 3-bed house. My questions are:

1. Is this good value for money?
2. Are there any cons (disadvantages) of cavity wall insulation that I should be aware of?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Only bad bit is B*****h **s selling it :!: - loads of people are doing it under Gov. initiatives . If you want to put your £ into BG , feel free- help them out they need the cash :mrgreen: . I think it`s a great idea , but there are loads of horror stories floating around the web about how bad it is - and plenty of naysayers on this site too. One thing I would recommend is , If your house has suspended wooden floors on ground floor - check the air vents after the installers have gone :idea: from inside by lifting a floorboard . Other than that it`s great

1. Is this good value for money?
That price for cavity wall is extraordinarily good value for money. Seeing as you can/could get 'buy one get three free' loft insulation from Wickes a couple of weeks ago their £199 loft insulation isn't so good value. IMO. So DIY it and spend a few quid on a mask and gloves.
2. Are there any cons (disadvantages) of cavity wall insulation that I should be aware of?
In my experience (homeowner only), putting cavity wall insulation in will change your house significantly for the better. Significantly! Seeing it's pretty irreversible I read around before having it done and it seemed to me that the negative reports (some guy who writes for the Telegraph seems to be the biggest worrier) are very anecdotal. I would imagine it is far more dependant on whether the guy who comes round with the big drill does the job properly and far less dependant on the product itself. I also imagine some houses were built shoddily in the first place which might cause problems, this should be caught by the survey, fat chance I guess, but again a problem with the installer and not the cavity wall product itself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back