Cavity Wall Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Our house is a 2001 build (Persimmon Homes I think) property. Do ALL new houses have CWI? I read somewhere, that it's not a legal obligation to have CWI, but they must meet minimum insulation requirements. It mentioned that they sometimes use thicker thermolite blocks to help insulation.

How can one find out whether CWI is fitted?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
External walls must reach the required standards for U values. This can be achieved in a variety of ways. CWI is not essential. Solid walls are now making a comeback. Its possible that your cavity wall is part filled. The U value in 2001 was 0.45.

It's almost certain you will have some CWI. As Stuart says probably partial fill foam.

See if you can get a look into the cavity somewhere. Possibly from the loft with a mirror or a digi camera.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, will have a look in the gas / electric meter cupboards and also in the loft.

I have drilled through the house wall on two occasions, once downstairs for a coax cable and once upstairs for a cable for an outside security light. On both occasions I don't recall seeing anything stuck to the drill bit or anything which would indicate CWI.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back