Cavity Wall Insulation

Discussion in 'Building' started by garrymum, 17 Nov 2008.

1. garrymum

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi

Our house is a 2001 build (Persimmon Homes I think) property. Do ALL new houses have CWI? I read somewhere, that it's not a legal obligation to have CWI, but they must meet minimum insulation requirements. It mentioned that they sometimes use thicker thermolite blocks to help insulation.

How can one find out whether CWI is fitted?

Thanks

2. stuart45

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    External walls must reach the required standards for U values. This can be achieved in a variety of ways. CWI is not essential. Solid walls are now making a comeback. Its possible that your cavity wall is part filled. The U value in 2001 was 0.45.

3. jeds

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It's almost certain you will have some CWI. As Stuart says probably partial fill foam.

See if you can get a look into the cavity somewhere. Possibly from the loft with a mirror or a digi camera.

4. wsdconst

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    if you open the electric/gas meter boxes you can sometimes see it

5. garrymum

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks guys, will have a look in the gas / electric meter cupboards and also in the loft.

I have drilled through the house wall on two occasions, once downstairs for a coax cable and once upstairs for a cable for an outside security light. On both occasions I don't recall seeing anything stuck to the drill bit or anything which would indicate CWI.