CCTV IP?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to use a single camera to view my front door and driveway.
The sitting room & kitchen are at the back, so it would be nice to see who’s coming (takeaway delivery/bailiffs etc)

The camera would be mounted outside, second story level. Camera to door is 10Mtr, & to gate is 40Mtr. About 20° between them. The front door has a light above it, nothing at the gate, but just need to be aware of headlights.

I think I would like to connect it to my BT homehub 3 using cable, and then view the images via the wife’s Ipad or my laptop using wifi.
I don’t need to record & not fussed about alerts.

Is any of this possible? Any recommendations?

Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Is any of this possible? Any recommendations?
Can't make recommendations as I really don't know what's available in terms of makes etc.

There are many IP cameras available - from the cheap and cheerful web cams, up to very high spec (and HD) industrial grade stuff. You pays your money and takes your choice. Most of these will allow you to view the images just by accessing the built in web server. But once you have one or more on the network, you can add a network DVR that will also record the images.

But some thinks you will need to address regardless of what you choose.

Firstly, having lights in the field of view will seriously affect night performance. It may just degrade the image, or it may mean you can see nothing but some lens/sensor flare from the light.

If the area doesn't have good illumination, then you'll need to add some - either overt (visible) lights, or covert (infra red). "Cheap" cameras with built in IR illumination are mostly rubbish at any distance - for long distance (and 40m is long distance) you'll need a good high power IR illuminator which is separate from the camera (at the very least outside the housing so you can't get internal reflections).

And as you've already realised, you'll need something with a relatively narrow viewing angle - which may take you into the interchangeable lens market.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back