CCTV - Multi monitors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Want a monitor in each of several room.

Should I just daisy-chain the RG59 using 'Y' connectors, or is it preferable to put in separate runs from each room back to the DVR?

Sponsored Links
Depending on monitor , some have loop in and out , you could probably get away with 3 monitors looped and out this way , but the correct way is a video amp 1 in 8 out or 2 x 1 in 4 out .

You could put a Y spilitter for 2 monitors....there may well be some picture degredation ie a little more grainy BUT if more than 2 then certainly you should use a distribution amp ( just like tv).

The other point to take note of is that you will stress the Video o/p IC by loading multiple screens....

Most half decent dvr's have vga and a coax o/p.........Why not just use those two o/ps??

Rgds
Matt

Afaict it depends on the monitor.

Some have a hiz/75ohm switch. If they do you should be able to daisy chain them using T peices reasonablly well. Set the switches on all but the last screen to highz and on the last one to 75 ohm.

If they don't have that switch then they are probablly fixed 75 ohm which means you need a video distribution amplifier to avoid overloading the source and to avoid problems with reflections.

• Thanks
Reactions: SNM
Sponsored Links
Most half decent dvr's have vga and a coax o/p.........Why not just use those two o/ps??

That would obviously give two monitors without picture degradation, but beyond that, I presume I'll still need to invest in amplifiers ... or is that not the case with coax?

I don't suppose I can use an RF amplifier on the coax (I've got a few spare)?

No it's a video composite signal
Look on ebay 301277202414 this is a vista 1x 4 amp

• Thanks
Reactions: SNM

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back