cctv setup problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all i have recently had my car and house atemted breakin they didnt get in to the house as the security is a1 they took some stuf out of the car so i have fitted security cameras all round the house but cant seem to get my sony flat lcd screen tv to pick up the cameras i have the recorder in the upstairs bedroom and conected via a HDMI cable to the tv in the living room so we can switch on the cameras when we want to see what is going on if needed but the sony tv says out of range all the time so i tried another tv and that works ok i contacted sony but not very helpfull hope you guys can put some light on this matter as my wife is very uneasy now thanks the vidio camera setup is floureon H264 video recorder x 4 cameras thanks bazz

Sponsored Links
Just an idea, but punctuation. Try it. It's used to break up a semi-coherent continuous ramble in to manageable chunks. It helps make things easier to follow when you are asking others for assistance. :D

Your problem with the Sony TV and CCTV is that the recorder is set to a screen resolution that the TV doesn't understand. Try changing the screen resolution to 1920x1080, or 1366x768, or 1280x720. These are all standard HDTV 16:9 timings. Make the change using the TV that does work. Then power all off and connect the HDMI to the Sony TV. Switch all back on again and you should be good to go.

hi ive been through all the settings on the tv and the screen res only goes upto 14:9 ive tried every setting and all I get is the test card from the cctv DVR through the hdmi then the screen goes blank.

Sponsored Links
There's some missing bits of information here. 14:9 isn't a screen resolution.

The screen resolution is the count of physical dots (of light) called pixels that make the picture. It is given as the count horizontally and the count vertically e.g. 1280 x 768, or 1024 x 768, or 1920 x 1080. Your TV will have its own resolution. There will also be a list of resolutions that the TV is happy to accept. Check your TV manual for a list of compatible screen resolutions. It's usually given the back pages in the manual.

Along with each resolution is a refresh rate, given in Hertz (Hz). The refresh rate for computer signals is usually a minimum or 60Hz. Video pictures are generally at 50Hz.

If your CCTV kit's output resolution is set to a resolution where it should be classed as a computer signal - and have a refresh rate of 60Hz - but when monitoring the cameras then the kit is sending out 50Hz then the TV won't accept that as a valid combination. IOW, the TV accepts say 1280 x 1024 @ 60Hz, but not 1280 x 1024 @ 50Hz.

The answer is to use a HDTV timing where both refresh rates are valid. So, 720 x 576p @ 50/60Hz, or 1280 x 720p @ 50/60Hz, or 1920 x 1080i @ 50/60Hz, or 1920 x 1080p @ 50/60Hz.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back