Ceiling beam in living room - chunks missing at end - advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - we're moving into a listed building in a few weeks, and one of the issues the survey pointed out was some degradation of the beam that runs across the living room ceiling.

I have attached some photos below, and it looks like the end has rotted in some way, so there is a large chunk missing at the end where it rests on the brick pillar. You can see the current owner has just shoved some cardboard in to fill the gap. There is also some sort of sealant used to fill gaps against the wall.

I'd like to get some advice on what should be done here if anyone has any ideas. Can/should it just be filled it with some sort of wood filler? Or is there another solution which would be better?

Appreciate any tips people may have :).

NB: The building is grade 2 listed from the 1850s, but I don't believe the beam is that old.

Photos:

Sponsored Links
What condition is the beam in, is it crumbling or solid. I would suggest that the beam be preserved/protected against further degrading.
I assume it is structural sound and just needs tidying up, often beams are packed out using slate to prevent moisture affect the beam. I doubt this would be an issue internally. I cannot see what use cardboard would have, I would remove and point up.

The beam is in good condition... it isn't crumbling in any away - though we are going to take some advice on this to double check. But it is sold to touch.

I think the cardboard has just been put in to plug the gap temporarily - don't think it was intended a permanent fix.

So would the large gaps in the beam be packed out using slate then - is that what you're saying?

Sponsored Links
They were traditional packed out with slate, in more modern times other materials are used also. The reason behind this is to form a solid platform that prevents the transfer of moisture.
If you have a bit of welsh slate kicking about, I think it would serve the purpose better and be more aesthetically pleasing and you could always point up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back