Ceiling cracks - top floor of 1900 terraced house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm hoping for some advice for what to do about a couple of ceiling cracks. I'm a bit of a novice on this kind of thing, so thanks in advance.

My bedroom on the top floor of a 1900 terraced house has two cracks which both originate at the corner of the ceiling and an interior wall. They run for 1-2metres and are max 5mm wide. The ceiling is ever so slightly bowed - it moves approx 2mm when pushed upwards. I'm pretty sure they're not caused by water damage - there is no sign of leakage, patches, flaking, etc.

20161204_121919.jpg 20161204_121911.jpg 20161204_121906.jpg

I'm concerned it could be a sign of serious structural damage, but am hopeful it could be less serious and repairable. Someone from the council (I'm a leaseholder) said it wasn't too serious, and could be due to too much weight in the loft, immediately above. Yes, there is some wood and a large rolled-up carpet in the loft, but really?

Sponsored Links
Weight in the loft will cause the joists to bow and this movement cause the ceiling to crack. If the stuff in the loft is just resting on the joists then the point loading may be enough to cause the movement.

If the ceiling is the original then it's likely to be lath and plaster in which case it's less forgiving than plasterboard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back