Ceiling repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Following a water leak, I have had to make 3 holes about 9inx6ins in the plaster board ceiling to locate it.
The "centre of the holes is spanned by a joist, so I have a good fixing available.
Would I be best served by removing more board so that i replaced one decent sized peice, but how should I deal with the edges that would not be supported by a joist?
NB The presence of coving prevents me from removing aanything adjacent to the wall.
Alternatively. would I be better by cutting a very large hole so that a piece of replacement could be nailed across two joists?
Thanks!

Any other tips?

Sponsored Links
Ideally for holes of this size you need to cut back to the joists, you can offer additional support across the width of the edges of boards by install noggins across the joist, centring the noggins so it over laps the existing ceiling board and your repair board.
The board is best screwed in place rather than nailed.
Check out the depth of the existing ceiling board and purchase the repair board accordingly. Standard plasterboards come in 9.5mm or 12.5mm depth. Remember to account for the addition of an approx 3-4mm of skim plaster, that's if the ceiling was plastered. So this should be deducted from the depth. For example if the depth between the joist and finished ceiling is 15-16mm, deducting 3-4mm for plaster will give you about 12.5mm, so that would be the ideal depth of board to use as the repair.
The edges of the ceiling where the repair is to be butted to, will need to have about 35-40mm of the plaster raked off, down to the boards paper surface, this will allow for the joint to be taped across the joints evenly and help to blend the new plaster in with the old.

Hope this helps!

Also if there are any signs of watermarks on the ceiling that has not been repaired/replaced, the stains should be sealed with a stain sealing paint. If not the watermark will often bleed through new decorations and the mark will be visible again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back