ceiling rose swap to r50 spotlight bar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i'm praying someone can help me. I am trying to swap a ceiling rose for a spotlight bar.

I have a problem though, the old ceiling rose had 6 wires connected to it. 2 brown, 1 blue and 1 yellow from 1 cable, and 1 red 1 black from a second cable.

Unfortunately though the spotlight bar only has a connector for N,L and earth. I am completely stumped and in need of help. I've got the lights off at the breaker and the kids are complaining cos they want to go for a bath and can't see anything in the dark haha. View media item 52806 View media item 52807
thanks for your help folks

Sponsored Links
It would be very odd for a single cable to contain two brown wires, looking at the picture I'm guessing they aren't cables at all but instead are single wires in conduit.

Is two way switching involved?
What is the wiring like at the switch(es)?
Can you get access from above?
Is this light associated with anything else such as a fan or a second light on the same switch?

Hi, i'm praying someone can help me. I am trying to swap a ceiling rose for a spotlight bar.

I have a problem though, the old ceiling rose had 6 wires connected to it. 2 brown, 1 blue and 1 yellow from 1 cable, and 1 red 1 black from a second cable.

Unfortunately though the spotlight bar only has a connector for N,L and earth. I am completely stumped and in need of help. I've got the lights off at the breaker and the kids are complaining cos they want to go for a bath and can't see anything in the dark haha. View media item 52806 View media item 52807
thanks for your help folks
You should have really took a piccy/scribbled a diagram before you started.
What colours do you have in your switch? (brown/blue/black/red?)

Sponsored Links
You say yellow, but I can't see one. Did you mean green/yellow?

It's impossible to guess in this situation. Because of the way it's been wired (in conduit) the wires could be anything.

You'd need to use a multimeter to check them out, possibly aided by looking in the switch controlling that light.

It would be very odd for a single cable to contain two brown wires, looking at the picture I'm guessing they aren't cables at all but instead are single wires in conduit.

Is two way switching involved?
What is the wiring like at the switch(es)?
Can you get access from above?
Is this light associated with anything else such as a fan or a second light on the same switch?

sorry ,yes they are wires not cables
yes it is a two way switch
no i cannott get access from above
yes there is a second light associated with the switch

all wires inside the actual wall switch are BROWN

You say yellow, but I can't see one. Did you mean green/yellow?

It's impossible to guess in this situation. Because of the way it's been wired (in conduit) the wires could be anything.

You'd need to use a multimeter to check them out, possibly aided by looking in the switch controlling that light.

YES I DID MEAN GREEN/YELLOW

You should have really took a piccy/scribbled a diagram before you started.
What colours do you have in your switch? (brown/blue/black/red?)[/quote]
all wires in the wall switch are brown

Plus the wiring at the other fitting too!

And how many wires are at each switch and how many in each switch terminal.

I'm guessing as it's a conduit install and there are two conduits there, that one goes off to switches & mains and the other to the second fitting.

Because the switches contain brown conductors, I'm guessing the one with the harmonised colours in goes to the switches & back to the CU, as there's a neutral in there. Guessing it's a neutral as there's no marker.

Therefore the conduit with red/black must go to the second fitting.

But, ignore the second light for the moment. There are either too many conductors for a conduit installation (unlikely), the blue is a live conductor (unlikely) or there is an unneeded live conductor at that ceiling position.

Or something else that I've missed cos I'm burgered... ;)

Sorry for the thinking out loud.

It would be very odd for a single cable to contain two brown wires,

Not really. Twin brown is common enough.

You say that, I've never actually seen it outside of a catalogue.

Got a multimeter?

Now you've just confirmed my fatigue level. Why didn't I think of that?

Because you're a confused old man who's exhausted himself trying to figure out one of those newfangled Android things? :)

Nail on the head, matey!

I certainly feel like a tired old man sometimes...

But I've certainly learned a thing or 22 setting up and using this new fangled "telling-bone"!

As for the twin brown twin and earth, it's common to see it in professionally rewired installs (sourced from wholesalers), but a few retail places are selling it now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back