ceiling skimming ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve just bought a house that’s very well decorated and I don’t want to change any off it. But the ceilings have artex, which I hate. Going to get a few quotes to get all the ceilings skimmed. My question is will a plaster be able to do this work without getting any on the walls needing them to be re painted?

Sponsored Links
I’ve just bought a house that’s very well decorated and I don’t want to change any off it. But the ceilings have artex, which I hate. Going to get a few quotes to get all the ceilings skimmed. My question is will a plaster be able to do this work without getting any on the walls needing them to be re painted?

even the best plasterers will drop a little or splash water down the walls. They should clean up ok without the need for repainting. For extra care you could tape polythene to the walls to protect from any splashes

DM said it all but you need to make it clear to the plasterer you employ, some are cleaner than others ;)

All good plasterers are clean but not all plasterers are good.

Thanks for the help guys, I think the tapeing polythene to the walls is a great idea.

Sponsored Links
You are going to have to think about the ceiling line- where the ceiling meets the wall.Taping up so that when you remove the tape you have a straight crisp line is not that easy, but this is something you have to do , not the plasterer .

This is especially so with artex as it is not an even surface, so you may be putting a bit more on than you think.

Your tape may be too high, and then the plaster will go over it , or too low meaning you will have some plaster on the wall which will be doubly hard to clean as it gathers between in the little gap between tape and ceiling.

Plastering is not like taking something out of a box and fixing it there - it's a wet trade and while you expect the tradesman to be neat and tidy you have to bear this in mind. For example, the water from the plaster may soak into the paint on your wall, and as the trowel touches the wall it may damage this paint. The type of paint on your walls may mitigate this.

You may have to be a bit creative when cutting in your ceiling - perhaps with a false line on the wall to disguise anywhere the wall is hurt.

My advice is prepare to prepare to touch up your walls a little or don't get the work done.

If anyone here thinks that they can 100% guarantee finishing a ceiling without any work needed to the walls, then I'd get them to do it.

Make sure the plasterer knows your exact requirements before he starts and don't get yourself into conflict after the work is done.

Behave, just tape right into the corner then once plaster is hard, cut into the angle with a stanley. This should give you a good edge. Failing this, have you considered coving??

If anyone here thinks that they can 100% guarantee finishing a ceiling without any work needed to the walls, then I'd get them to do it.

I've skimmed many ceilings without damaging the walls, just a little wipe here and there as you go along.

I've skimmed many ceilings without damaging the walls, just a little wipe here and there as you go along.

Of course, but you can't 100% guarantee it if the wall paint is affected, though. You probably have come across some walls where this has happened?

Cutting tape out with a stanley knife - wouldn't be my choice of finish either, I'd rather put the tape on straight to alow for the skim then when it comes off you have a clean line.

Yes, if you want to mask something up, better to put the tape on straight so that you don't need to cut it off - you can just peel it off and leave a straight line.

This useful for other applications too eg skimming into oak beams that are not treated - allow for depth of skim when putting the tape on.

It's how we mask up stone work for rendering too - a little care in prepping goes a long way.

Glad it cheered you up.

Yes, if you want to mask something up, better to put the tape on straight so that you don't need to cut it off - you can just peel it off and leave a straight line.

This useful for other applications too eg skimming into oak beams that are not treated - allow for depth of skim when putting the tape on.

It's how we mask up stone work for rendering too - a little care in prepping goes a long way.

Glad it cheered you up.

skimmed upto more oak beams than I care to remember, same with stone. NEVER have I had to tape up. I skim straight no need for tape.

skimmed upto more oak beams than I care to remember, same with stone. NEVER have I had to tape up. I skim straight no need for tape.

Fair play, now you've cheered me up - that is a good one !

Edit - You are missing th epoint , Peaps.

The tape is not to help you skim straight. The tape is to protect what you are working into. My advice above it that is that if you need to use tape, then put it on straight, allowing for the thickness of your skim , so that youcan remove it leaving a clean , straight line with no need for a knife.

This is a DIY forum , for sharing advice.

Sitting at a PC saying 'I can do this perfectly' is no good to the person who needs a job doing. They need some tips on how to get the best outcome. If they could do the job perfectly they would not be here asking for help.

I'm glad that it makes you feel better posting here, as you do seem to need a bit of amusement , but perhaps something more constructive might help the posters

If you were to use tape , what would you do?

Fair play, now you've cheered me up - that is a good one !

Edit - You are missing th epoint , Peaps.

The tape is not to help you skim straight. The tape is to protect what you are working into. My advice above it that is that if you need to use tape, then put it on straight, allowing for the thickness of your skim , so that youcan remove it leaving a clean , straight line with no need for a knife.

This is a DIY forum , for sharing advice.

Sitting at a PC saying 'I can do this perfectly' is no good to the person who needs a job doing. They need some tips on how to get the best outcome. If they could do the job perfectly they would not be here asking for help.

I'm glad that it makes you feel better posting here, as you do seem to need a bit of amusement , but perhaps something more constructive might help the posters

If you were to use tape , what would you do?

"You are going to have to think about the ceiling line- where the ceiling meets the wall.Taping up so that when you remove the tape you have a straight crisp line is not that easy, but this is something you have to do , not the plasterer .

This is especially so with artex as it is not an even surface, so you may be putting a bit more on than you think.

Your tape may be too high, and then the plaster will go over it , or too low meaning you will have some plaster on the wall which will be doubly hard to clean as it gathers between in the little gap between tape and ceiling."

"Yes, if you want to mask something up, better to put the tape on straight so that you don't need to cut it off - you can just peel it off and leave a straight line.

It's how we mask up stone work for rendering too - a little care in prepping goes a long way."

Not what you wrote...

In all my 29 years of plastering I've NEVER had to use tape to mask up. I've NEVER known it to be used either. Cover the floor and got on with it without any problems.

I was trained to do a good job and to take extra care with corners and edges, clean up and leave the place the same as I found it except for the plastering I was asked to do.

Yes I enjoy this forum and will stick more oar in when I see what I think is **** advice..

If a plasterer went in to see taped edges he would rip it off....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back