( cellotex or rockwool in a cavity wall? )

G

geraint

my colleague has listened to the bricklayers 50mm cellotex specified with a 100mm cavity they have full filled with 100mm rockwool. am i right or wrong saying no..

Sponsored Links
You're right!

It could get wet (it could not but why chance it, once it's in there it'll be a bugger to remedy)

Why have they done this? Penny pinching? Using up mats from another job?

You're right!

It could get wet (it could not but why chance it, once it's in there it'll be a b*****r to remedy)

Why have they done this? Penny pinching? Using up mats from another job?
i was after an answer of the properties.. not a discussion of the ins and outs...

Maybe you should have made the question clear to start with?

Properties?

Sponsored Links
First time you Mods have genuinely Fu**ed me off on here, removing my post! Why don't you ever steer OPs in the right direction? :evil:

my colleague has listened to the bricklayers 50mm cellotex specified with a 100mm cavity they have full filled with 100mm rockwool. am i right or wrong saying no..

Its a standard alternative, but they should do as per the spec, and not change it without telling you. If they have used standard rockwool its a disaster, but batts are coated with water repellent and formed in layers so water should not track through, even through the joins.
The reason celotex has to have 50mm gap is because water will track through the joints if it gets there.
In some very exposed locations, the batts are not advised, but I would not worry. Just make sure the don't charge you for celotex when they have used batts !
Simon.

OP

You asked for the properties.

Thermal insulation U values.

50 mm celotex 0.5
100 mm rockwool 0.4

So the Rockwool provides better insulation.

Rockwool roll ( you don't specify roll or batts) will hold water if it falls on it and this desroys the insulation completely. Ends up as a soggy mess.

Much chraper than Celotex, cheaper than batts.

Rockwool batts. same insulation, more expensive, remain vertical when positioned. I was unaware of what simonjay has written.

Celotex. Better insulation per cm of thickness, unaffected by water, about 5 times more expensive than Rockwool roll.

Mod11 wrote:
a meaningful title has been added and some abusive or ill-tempered posts removed
That would have been one of mine then, I personally thought it was a valid response to and illogic post, by an ignorant member.
But hey ho, I will stand by your judgement!

Mod11 wrote:
a meaningful title has been added and some abusive or ill-tempered posts removed
That would have been one of mine then, I personally thought it was a valid response to and illogic post, by an ignorant member.

...and I thought it was just me. :rolleyes:

In my opinion Dritherm cavity batts (100mm full fill) is the simplest method by far.

They do not wick water.

...and you can set the brickwork (external leaf) out first.

I personally thing partial fill rigid foam is pants!

Mod11 wrote:

an ignorant member... did you post a valid reply... no...

could you.... no...

and i thank the persons that have..

In my opinion Dritherm cavity batts (100mm full fill) is the simplest method by far.

They do not wick water.

...and you can set the brickwork (external leaf) out first.

I personally thing partial fill rigid foam is pants!

i agree.. but the designers... having seen it today.. it is a flank wall along side next doors wall.. so no chance of any ingress of rain. i was only asking originally whether good practice or where the bricklayers taking the ****.. we are never too old to learn... and i hope i am never too old...... thank you all...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back