Cement screed to bury Central heating pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Can some kind person please advise me, I have mixed a bag of sand/cement as per instructions on the bag it seems a bit sandy and not particularly hard and as it is burying a central heating pipe that burst and has now been replaced is there any thing I can apply to this now to harden it or prevent it from breaking up.

Cheers

Will

:oops:

Sponsored Links
more cement? what ratio did you use? screed is meant to be "sandy"

I used a ready mixed bag from B&Q, but when brushing the top of it sand comes away. Is there anything I can put on to stablise it?

Cheers Will

Will, screed, whether ready mixed or otherwise, should be sandy and seem like it will not fo the job intended.

You need to ensure that it is pressed firmly down onto the surface in question, level it, then do not walk on it for 24 hours..if it is possible, cover it with a bit of plywood..decent stuff not thin rubbish, to prevent it being walked on.

Within 12 hours it should be reasonably hard to the touch, but being ready mixed I would ensure you leave it 24 hours as I said.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks

I was contemplating brushing some PVA mixed with water just to stop the surface from dusting would advise against this or is it a good idea.

Again thanks for your time it never ceases to amaze me the time people take on this site to help us amatures out of sticky situations.

Cheers

Will

Sounds like it wasn't mix up properly or not enough water.

Will007 said:
Many thanks

I was contemplating brushing some PVA mixed with water just to stop the surface from dusting would advise against this or is it a good idea.

Again thanks for your time it never ceases to amaze me the time people take on this site to help us amatures out of sticky situations.

Cheers

Will

Will, it would have been a good idea to add a little PVA to the water when you mixed it, but it will not do any harm to water down some PVA and brush it on the surface once it is dried a bit, it will soak in to the screed and seal it, but wait a few hours for it to harden just a little.

Never put cement based products directly onto copper pipe, it rots it through time and does not allow for expansion, place copper pipe or any other pipe in a plastic conduit then fill the channel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back