Centra Heating not working thogh Hot water is being supplied

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
During a recent cold spell I thought I would try the central heating. It doesn't heat up. The house thermostat indicates that the heating should be on (flame icon) the central heating controller has an on light for both HW and CH. There is plenty of hotwater but the radiators do not heat up. Can someone help me diagnose why my CH is not working. I don't think the pump is running.

Sponsored Links
sefton, pete is making the point that without some basic info like boiler make/model or name of the controller, it is a guessing game

Sponsored Links
sefton, pete is making the point that without some basic info like boiler make/model or name of the controller, it is a guessing game
OK thanks. The boiler is a Gloworm Fuel Saver Mk2 (old) conventional boiler; the controller is a Towerchon QE1. I'm not sure how much this information will help. Further information is:

It is an open vented system. The motorised valve does not appear to motor with the controller CH and HW both selecetd to on and the house thermsotat temperature selected to high. The pump also does not appear to operate. The boiler has recently been serviced (this summer) and there is no problems with HW.

Hi Sefton, if you have either of these, I would suspect the little synchron motor has failed. Very common, but you need to do a few electrical tests to be sure. It's a lot easier when we know more about your system ;)
View media item 38425 View media item 44939
Yes Pete - I do have a motorised v/v exactly as you have illustrated. I operated the slave lever and latched it into position. Still no joy. I am suspecting the programmer.

Simply latching the lever will not close the internal switch on either of those valves. That lever is for opening the valve to enable filling of the system. A multimeter is a must for diagnosing your fault. It's more likely to be the internal motor than anything else. Unless you are capable of doing some tests then it's not possible to be certain.

Simply latching the lever will not close the internal switch on either of those valves. That lever is for opening the valve to enable filling of the system. A multimeter is a must for diagnosing your fault. It's more likely to be the internal motor than anything else. Unless you are capable of doing some tests then it's not possible to be certain.
I have a multimeter and I am capable of doing some tests.

With a meter, you need to test for power to the white wire of the valve. This is easily done at the wiring centre.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back