Central Heating Boiler in Holiday Home (Caravan)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a static caravan that is fitted with gas central heating. For 6 weeks each year I am not permitted to use the caravan (Jan - Mar) and all services are disconnected (gas, water & electricity). How can I protect my gas boiler from frost damage other than to drain it down each year or, is this the only option? I did not drain it down this year but spent the entire 6 weeks worrying about the boiler - fortunately, everything was ok.

Sponsored Links
I have never needed to use it so I am no expert but I believe you can get antifreeze suitable for heating systems. Contact Fernox or Sentinal for advice of dosing/ suitability before use.

X500 but expensive last time I bought it was about £80 but you get about a gallon for that.

I would just drain the system down or not depending on where you are.

hi
i had static on a site in towyn (wales)with a worcester 24i,and on shutdown each year the site maintainance crew used to drain all the vans down for winter then refill and test ready for re-opening in march,this service was included in the site fees,gas and elec safety checks were charged seperate though,approach your site manager to see if they offer the same kind of service,saves you the worry plus you know your system has been drained and filled with nice clean water every year.

Sponsored Links
....you know your system has been drained and filled with nice clean water every year.

So what about the scale deposited in the heat exchanger every re-fill? What about the fibre washers drying out? What about the pump siezing up? What about the boiler auto air vents leaking afterwards? Sounds a mad idea to me...bet it used to generate plenty of extra work for them.

Modern boilers run the pump and cycle the diverter valve daily (when not used) to stop them siezing up..could they not leave the power on?

i see your point gas,guess we were just lucky as we never had any probs in 6 years on that site,maybe they treated the systems after all it was £2500 a year(8 month season) per van times possibly 125 vans so perhaps they chucked a bottle of fernox in..........we'll never know now either cause we left the site.

It would appear to me, from the comments received so far, that to drain and refill each year is not the way to go, and that adding X500 is probably the best solution - would I have to add this each year or just the once? The services are only disconnected for 6 weeks each year (unfortunately, usually the coldest months of the year - Jan to Mar). How likely is it that the pump/diverter will seize during this short period due to no power to the boiler?

Where exactly is the caravan,roughly don't need the postcode lol?

X500 should be checked annually not replaced just checked then perhaps topped up as required.

Anywhere south of South Yorkshire then I wouldn't bother to be honest.

You need a few days (four approximately) of zero degrees and less to burst pipes etc.

We hardly get those sorts of temps now but you are usually looking at ten year cycles.

Would not trust the anti freeze especially in a caravan or static. In harsh winters i have seen heating systems that are actually on freeze up when pipe catches direct prolonged blast of cold air

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back