Central Heating flow/pump help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Some of my radiators are slow to heat up and I'd like to know if I'm doing any harm by setting the pump to setting 3, especially at times when the TRV's on most radiators aren't asking for flow. It's one of those mass built houses and a plumber mentioned that the pump would possibly be working to it's max for the size of the system and might simply be a bit tired as it's 12 years old. (The next door neighbour has the same problem with two of the same rads)

I have an Ideal Clasic boiler feeding 5 downstairs and 7 upstairs radiators and a hot water cylinder, via a pump in the airing cupboard (normally set at setting 2). Three of the downstairs rads are slow but do eventually heat up. Each of the three is slow even if all other rads in the system are shut off. However when the pump is at setting 3 all rads heat up fairly quick, even when all other TRV's are open. I've added Sentinel sludge remover and left for a couple of weeks and flushed thru. I've removed all rads, flushed them through and fitted new TRV's. I've blown thru the pipes and there doesn't seem to be any restrictions. There wasn't any serious sludge anywhere. I've added Sentilel inhibitor.

So, basically, setting my pump to setting 3 cures my problem. Am I doing any harm, or does anyone have any further suggestions. I'm not convinced that power flushing would be my solution but I'm open to any input.

Thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
No problem doing that.

You've done all you can. If you want you could swap the pump for a 15/60

Could think about adding a magnetic filter if you really want to. I always use Magnacleans although others don't rate them due to perceived build quality.

You've a good boiler there.

Ted

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back