Central heating from scratch

D

Deleted 223144

Good afternoon!

I'm potentially looking to purchase a house that currently has no central heating at all. Here is a gas supply to the property, it's under the stairwell. I'm a first time buyer, so don't really have much of a clue when it comes to this, but I'm aware that since it's an old property that I plan on doing up, the first jobs should be a full rewire (believed to be 1950's wiring - the house dates to the 1890's), and a full central heating system. Its going to require 8 or 9 radiators for a three bed property. A quick British Gas quote has so far come up with £6200, but the estate agent showing the property to me thinks that's excessively high and could be done cheaper. So - is her rough idea of £4000 achievable or likely? Does this mean ripping walls apart? Just exactly what am I letting myself in for here?

Thanks for any pointers! (And recommendations in the plymouth/Devon area would be great!)

Jo

Sponsored Links
Having the gas supply in place will be a help finacially as it can cost a fortune for that alone so thats good news.

British gas will almost always be more expensive (noticably) than local independant guys, its just a case of whether the name is worth the extra money to you or not.

Pricing could be anything from £1000 to £10,000 depending on who and what is fitted, typically a good combi could be about £1k. Radiators again vary depending on quality, as long as there flushed and treated correctly with right chemicals then most will give a good number of years service. the thermostatic valves for each radiator can be anywhere between £5 and £50.

pipe copper or plastic and how many fittings will affect the price also, this will be somewhat determend on access to run the pipes, its unlikley there will be much disruption to walls, but unless you have a lot of space under the floor then a lot of floors/hatches will likely need cut and lifted.

I would suggest if you have already bought the property, lifting a few hatches, to see what depth is like underneath and would allow an engineer quiting you a better idea of what hes working with.

I'm doing the same in my own first house at the moment (although Im fitting it myself) Its a great way to go, choosing where you want your radiators where you want to put the boiler, how you want to control it all.

You need to think what you want first, and also consider your hot water usage as that will dictate what sort of boiler or tank system will be needed, and get some quotes from reputable locals.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back