Central heating losing pressure- relief valve?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Work up this morning to zero pressure water in the boiler, I think i have a sticking relief valve.
are these easy to strip and clean and rebuild?
It looks almost accessiable, any thing to watch out for?
do they have easily available seals inside?
I`m at work so no boiler name and number.
thanks
Ray

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I do have water dripping from the relief valve, this morning i went around the underfloor area and checked all the joints for leaks, then i repressurised the system to 1 bar on the dial and switched the heating on, after 10mins i had 3 bar and the valve had been releasing water.
i reduced the cold pressiure to about 0.8 bar and when hot the pressuire
was around 2.5 bar.
what i am thinking is that the valve has been opening fairly often and has something stuck in it or a seal has failed.
Also the plumber who fitted the boiler said run it at 1.5-2bar cold, it appears this is too high when hot, maybe the problem.
am i barking up the wrong tree? looked at Faq`s and i will try that in the morning.
maybe a hamlet moment if i can fix it?

Ray

You are getting water from your pressure relief because your expansion vessel is fooked :)

Drain your system to 0bar pressure (when cold).

Press the pin on the schrader valve and see if water comes out, if it does your diaphram is split.

If a bit of air comes out, put a pike pump with a pressure gauge on and see if the pressure is to the correct level (it should say on the expansion vessel the correct bar)

Drain your system to 0bar pressure (when cold).

Press the pin on the schrader valve and see if water comes out, if it does your diaphram is split.

If a bit of air comes out, put a pike pump with a pressure gauge on and see if the pressure is to the correct level (it should say on the expansion vessel the correct bar)

a pike ,will he tarmac my drive afterwards?

we could do this all day :D

Assuming the expansion vessel is knackered, is there such a thing as a universal expansion vessel that could be fitted, possibly externally.

The replacment is between £120 and £200, and would a non standard one be cheaper?
The spec is 8ltr and 1 bar.
Cheers

Ray

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back