Central Heating - Loud banging sound in radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening everybody.

My daughter and son in law have problems with their central heating system.

It is an open vented system. The system was tending to overheat and water was flowing from the overflow pipe from the tanks in the roof.
My son in law reduced the water temperature on the boiler and this seemed to cure the problem. However the radiator temperature was too low to adequately heat the house

The overheating problem was accompanied by loud banging noises in the upstairs radiators followed by a loud rushing noise of water flowing into the radiators.

This problem also occured a number of times in the middle of the night when the system was powered off.

A plumber has inspected the system and confessed that he is puzzled by the symptoms because of the intermittent nature of the fault.

The house is rather large and has a number of water tanks interconnected in the attic.

The symptoms have been described to me by son in law who is basically non technical.

I have installed my own sealed central heating system and have a good understanding of the systems.

I would most appreciate if anyone could give their opinions of the cause of the problem

Many thanks

Jimmy

Sponsored Links
i'd probably be looking for a restriction or blockage around the cold feed/vent pipe area.

pump may be intermittently cutting out, although probably a restriction around the cold feed /vent pipework,,,,1st chk would be to look at pump ,
and maybe change the boiler control stat to stop overheating....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back