Central heating not working, hot water fine (oil fired)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Wanting some advice before calling an engineer. Central heating will not fire up, I've tried selecting all settings on timer (auto/all day/24 hours) no joy, nothing happens at all other than the click and red light coming on. If I select hot water theres the click and red light but then the boiler fires up as it should. Is this a job for an engineer or is there something I could check first?

Horstmann Centaurplus c27 timer
Warmflow 90/120 Whitebird boiler with Riello burner

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You haven't described and other system controls ie motorised valves etc but if you have either a 3 port valve or 2 x 2 port valves then thats where to look first to check these valves are working.

If the boiler fires up when the system is calling for hot water, then there is nothing wrong with the boiler.

Its sounds like there is a fault with a two or three port valve. Its possible the valve is not opening correctly and so not switching on the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back