Central heating not working - hot water OK

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Central heating not working - hot water OK

I've tried turning on and off a few times

We've got British Gas cover. In the past, on 2 occasions.. they engineer has come and 'turned it on' - and it's JUST started working as if by magic

Could I be doing anything wrong?
I've tried changing the thermostat up and down

We've now got a call out excess of £50 - which I don't want to pay!!

Are there any basic/fundamental things you need to do??

Thanks

OM

Sponsored Links
There are some basic things we need to know about your system if you want more help.

british gas 330 boiler
thermostat rc1
what else can i give?
thanks

Your problem is pump related. could be the pump has failed so no circulation no heating. Could be the pump is ok and not receiving any power.
Gravity HW with pumped CH systems relies on a programmer feeding the room stat and the room stat feeding the pump.
With a fully pumped system the room stat feeds a motorised valve which in turn feeds the pump, the motorised valve may not be moving to the correct position due to faulty motor or if motor ok it may fail to supply power to pump due to faulty micro switches.
So could be any of a number of things
programmer
room stat
motor in motorised valve
microswitch in motorised valve
pump

Sponsored Links
@mandate, thanks for the reply
the heating hasn't been on for a good 4 months - i can only but assume it just needs a push

i've had a look at the tank and i have a WR1 receiver there

it's on alarm setting and the red light is on - is this how it should be?

in regards the pump, is there anything i can do to kickstart?

i remember an engineer came round on a previous visit and said that the pump was seized or something - he didn't replace, he just loosened something and got it going

let me know what u think

thanks

I think a flashing red light is fault ( I'm unsure) try hitting the pump with something and see if it starts going again.

Isn't the 330 a combi? I don't deal with British gas boilers a lot I know it's a glowworm. Surly it wouldn't be on gravity Hotwater

Have you got a hot water cylinder or not? Have you got a 3 port valve or 2 2 port valves ?

Solid light is fault I googled it you Need to rebind your receiver ( press override does your heating work then)

flashing red light - no it's not flashing - it's solid redi can't remember if the engineer said this was ok or not. i googled and can't find anything. the only results say a flashing light is a fault

EDIT: i read ur next reply about solid light being red.
yes, i put to override... but the heating didn't come on... i'll give that another go. i've seen instructions on how to pair... so will report back after trying that

it's not a combi

what's gravity hotwater?

we've got a hot water tank - is that the same thing as a hot water cylinder?
i'll have a look if u think it would give any info that might help

Can you take a picture of your Hotwater cylinder please . Also did you turn your time switch on before pressing the override button ie turn your heating on then press button

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back