Central Heating Pipework Layout

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm purchasing a house (2 bed semi) which does not currently have central heating installed. as a fairly competent DIY'er and with tight budget, I'm thinking about installing the rads and doing all the pipework myself (leaving boiler/gas installation to a professional). I've also decided a combi boiler would be best for this house and would be installed on the ground floor in the kitchen.

My question is, if I want a flow/return system, whats the best way of mapping out the pipework to ensure sufficient flow to all the rads.
Do I start off by branching upstairs to feed all the rads upstairs first, then come back down, or vice versa? Or do I tee off the feed @ the ground floor and split for both upstairs and downstairs rads at this point.

Also, I'm slightly confused about the pipe sizing. I understand the boiler would require 22mm In/Out, but what I'm not sure of is where I should reduce down to the 15mm to feed the radiators. Do I reduce down straight away at say the first radiator?

Thanks any help would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
You need to get hold of your "professional" first and talk to him. After all, if things don't heat as you desire who will you seek guidance from. If you do all the pipework and ask him to connect to a pair of tails then you are very much on your own.

Thanks all for your responses.

3 rads or 6kw maximum off a 15mm pair of flow and returns.

Dan, if I teed my 22mm and then reduced each to 15mm (one upstairs and one downstairs) are you saying I could have 6 rads this way?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
No, I'm saying run it in 22mm and branch off to 15mm for no more than 3 rads per branch.

You'll have balancing issues above that.

Also, for most domestic systems, 6kW is the typical maximum you can squeeze down 15mm tube.

Plastic is even more restrictive, but the inherent lack of fittings tends to offset that.

Make sure, if you do use plastic tube, that is barrier pipe. And choose your brand and stick to it. . Following the instructions to the letter.

Alternative is to have a manifold. Centrally located and have each run back to that in 15mm or 10mm. My upstairs rads are done t hi is way and has enabled me to do zone my heating down to room level.

Well after a few hours this post went off on a tangent!

...And for the record HawkEye I do appreciate your advice, I'm completely new to this so any information and knowledge is appreciated :)

Another thread ruck. :)

While Dan's advice is better (even hawkeye acknowledges that) there are ways to post without patronising. That understandably peeves ppl off.

Even worse are forum sycophants.

This is a DIY forum. I appreciate all the input from professionals but if a DIYer is trying to help isn't it best to politely say they are wrong and why rather than trying to big up yourself?

Just my tuppence :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back