central heating programmer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone, new to this,

I'm changing from a danfoss 102e5 to a horstman centaurplus c27.
I've connected live, earth, neutral and also hot water on and central heating on but i'm left with a common. do i connect to hot water off and then add a link to central heating off?
any help would be appreciated,

Sponsored Links
Do you know what type of system you have e.g. do you have zone valves for the heating and hot water?

Sponsored Links
The common on the old programmer should just have been linked from the live. If you have a seperate wire coming from
somewhere else and connected to the common connection you will need to find out what the other end is connected to.

If by 'common' you mean the end of the two on/off switches for hw and ch, this is a live conductor. If it is left over you should park it with the other live connections.

Your original timer could not control hw off when ch is on, the new one can but your other system components may not not support this.

Horstmann controllers arent the easiest to use either, perhaps you like the 1980s?

The common on the old programmer should just have been linked from the live. If you have a seperate wire coming from
somewhere else and connected to the common connection you will need to find out what the other end is connected to.

I tried connecting without common in as per instruction on centaurplus wiring diagram leaving terminals 1+2 blank, switched on o.k but when turning setting on hot water to off it blew fuse. i'm wondering if common was for the off switch for both hw and ch on the original danfoss 102e5.

On the danfoss when unconnecting it, mains supply went to earth, 5(N) +6(L) terminals, wires to water on and heating on which are 3+4 on the centaurplus and common which i don't know where/if to connect on the centaurplus.

As Simon said the common is a live conductor and 'could' be connected to the L on the new programmer. If this causes problems then you'll need to know what the other end of the old common is connected to.

As Simon said the common is a live conductor and 'could' be connected to the L on the new programmer. If this causes problems then you'll need to know what the other end of the old common is connected to.

Thanks denso and simon i will try this, thanks for your time

Thanks denso and simon i will try this, thanks for your time

Hi again just found conversion wiring diagrams for the above mentioned programmers online, and have wired acordingly.

c/h works fine now but whenever i try the other controls ie switching to just hot water or the other advance controls it just blows the fuse,

Any ideas?

You need to confirm what the existing cables are at the thermostat and what the other ends are connected to. Do you have a multimeter?

Dazza, just to reiterate if it's blowing fuses on certain settings then it is plainly wired wrong. You need to test what cable is what or trace the cables back and tell us what they are connected to. If you're not up to that, which is fine, it is probably time to get someone. You are working with mains power and it can be dangerous stuff.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back