Central heating pump and direction of flow?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
hope you can help, I have changed our central heating pump today as the old one stopped pumping and the boiler kept cutting out. I am happy with this as no leaks and the boiler, rads and hot water all seem fine.
My only worry is that I may have put the pump back in reverse of how it was! The old pump which is vertical flow was certainly upside down or at least the writing on the front was and the wire came in from the top and on the right.
I am almost certain that I got the flow going the same way as before but the new pump is completely reversed. The writing is the right way up but the wire comes in from the bottom left.
The pump is fitted in a 22m pipe that comes from a15mm feed from the bottom of the heating expansion tank in the loft.
Should the pump be pumping towards the expansion tank or away from it? Hope this is enough info as hard to describe the pipework system.
Any help very much appreciated to help me deal with my paranoia

Sponsored Links
Hi All,
hope you can help, I have changed our central heating pump today as the old one stopped pumping and the boiler kept cutting out. I am happy with this as no leaks and the boiler, rads and hot water all seem fine.
My only worry is that I may have put the pump back in reverse of how it was! The old pump which is vertical flow was certainly upside down or at least the writing on the front was and the wire came in from the top and on the right.
I am almost certain that I got the flow going the same way as before but the new pump is completely reversed. The writing is the right way up but the wire comes in from the bottom left.
The pump is fitted in a 22m pipe that comes from a15mm feed from the bottom of the heating expansion tank in the loft.
Should the pump be pumping towards the expansion tank or away from it? Hope this is enough info as hard to describe the pipework system.
Any help very much appreciated to help me deal with my paranoia

The pump should be pumping away from the feed from the expansion tank. ;)

Quick, go check! If its the wrong way your house may explode!

Nah, just jestin'. Arrow on the body must point away from the f&e. Mind you, Spraggo has already said that!

Mr. W.

Sponsored Links
Spraggo and Mr Dubya,
just to say thanks properly, the pump was the wrong way round and I have now corrected and all is working fine.
Its really great that there are people around who are willing to help others.
Well done and thanks again.
Rob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back