central heating pump max delivery head advice needed

Although we have pipes going into the cylinder, we have never had hot water from the boiler. We have had to use the immersion heater.
How many pipes, in total, connect to the cylinder?

Can you post a pic of the cylinder showing all the pipes and surrounding components?

Sponsored Links
As I said before, I will be updating next year but just need to get it working again for this winter.

If it's not the pump, what else could it be? I have tried bleeding all radiators in the house but all I get out is water.

Thanks
Ash

Sponsored Links
Regardless of the age of the pump its been installed by a nupty who does not know they need to be maintainable.

Many Grundfos pumps are still working fine after 30 years!

Tony

Try opening the upper gate valve. Does the pipe to the cylinder get hot when you run the boiler? Is there any water in the header tank?

Try opening the upper gate valve. Does the pipe to the cylinder get hot when you run the boiler? Is there any water in the header tank?

Yes the pipes do get hot slowly.
There is water in the header tank too.

Regards
Ash

What about the pipes at the boiler. Caution- could be very hot. If that is the case, pump could be suspect or air lock

Yes the pipes do get hot slowly.

Regards
Ash

That sounds like a failed pump.

Unfortunately as its facing the wrong way not at all easy to check/test!

Mirrors and torch!

Tony

Yea had to use mirror and torch to remove the cap on the pump.bit tricky not enough space to move things.

It seems enough other people think it's the pump as well so I will try it.

Thanks

The person that is on site is you. While the fault would appear to be the pump, are you happy to replace the pump and then find problem till occurs?

Almost certainly air, sludge or scale.

If the upstairs gets hot the pump must be working.

Hi all,
I thought I would try draining the system tonight. I drained it and left the mains water supply on to run water through the pipes. All that came out the other end was clear and there was very little air (if any). Turn the heating back on after stopping draining and all radiators slowly warmed up (including the rads downstairs). The only thing though is it was very slow and the rads were getting hot at the top first.

Any ideas what might be the problem

As above.

What size pipes do you have feeding each radiator.

You may have to balance the heating and the red valves above the pump, the lower one on the left should be fully open for heating, the higher one that goes to the cylinder, open no more than 2 full turns.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back