Central heating pump runs constantly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last week my Potterton Prima 30F central heating boiler blew the main fuse. I didnt have a spare 3 Amp fuse, so fitted a 5 Amp, which also blew. I then called out a a local heating engineer who traced the problem to a faulty pump, which he replaced (and chargerd me £200!)

Since the repair, the central heating pump runs constantly, even if the boiler is not running. I contacted the engineer who fitted it, who suggested that the pump over-run thermostat may be damaged. I have since checked this (by dipping the probe in hot water) and it is switching OK.

The boiler also seems to be only partially controlled by the timer switch- it follows the preset CH + HW settings, but also has also started firing up in the middle of the night or if the temperature dial on the front of the boiler is turned up.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Would a higher rated fuse have wrecked the PCB?

Many thanks

Jim

Sponsored Links
I would first make a quick check to make sure the pump isn't wired into a permanent live connection......do you have a frost stat?

This has the characteristics of a faulty motorised valve which needs a new head, but I would be careful with pump changers, (and I don't go to fast fit tyre and exhaust centres for the same reason).

Thanks for your help

I checked the pump wiring straight away- it doesnt seem to be wired up as per the wiring diagram in the inside of the cover. That said, all the engineer did was remove the old pump and replace it, so he shouldn't have altered any connections in the junction box. I dont think there is a frost stat (is this for protection against frozen pipes?)

How do I check for a faulty motorised valve? Can anyone suggest a reputable central heating engineer in the North Bristol area??

Cheers
Jim

Sponsored Links
Oilman

The motorised valve seems to be working OK: it is a mid position type, and there is a position indicator on the side marked W / M / H (presumably water /mid / heating?).

With the controller set to hot water only, the indicator moves to W. If I manually move the valve to the middle using the plastic lever at the back, the stepper motor moves it back to the W position.

With the controller set to Heating only, the indicator moves to M. If I touch the storage tank temperature sensor onto a hot section of pipe, the valve moves across to H.

Cheers
Jim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back