Central heating room thermostat broken

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi! My central heating thermostat situated on the wall in the living room has stopped working. I can swing the dial around from 0 to 30 and it usually does not make a clicking noise - even though it is obviously too hot and should be switching off. This means that the only way I can control the heating is by switching it off at the boiler on the timer mechanism. Sorry if I am showing how untechnical I am!?!
Furthermore my upstairs shower is playing up and not heating up fully..and the pressure gauge on the central heating boiler is just below 1.
I am wondering if all these things are related?
I pay for the cheapest British Gas maintenance cover - HomeCare100, but cannot fathom whether this covers the room thermostat. (they give you a coloured diagram on the back of their t & c to show what is covered but it is so small and difficult to understand that despite getting a magnifying glass to it I am still non the wiser!)
Any advice would be much appreciated.
thanks.

Sponsored Links
I would expect its covered but surely its BG that you should be calling to ask?

Repressurising the heating system is a user function and you should be doing that yourself.

Tony

I work for them. It's covered mate. The contract you have covers Boiler and controls and the room stat is a control. That's providing the stat is actually broken. Being that you still have heating, it might not be the problem.

Thank you both. yes I will ask BG in the morning now I know that the thermostat is covered. and yes, I know I should be able to fix the pressure in the boiler. I have been shown once but have forgotten - and its not covered in my 'DIY for dunces' book!?! ...something to do with turning a key under the boiler......

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back