Central Heating System Not Working - Hot Water Fine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Been reading through some posts and am impressed at all the helpful people here so was hoping someone might be able to help.

I've just moved three radiators in our house due to a new kitchen and bathroom going in. I drained the system down to do the work, had no problems with the replumbing (i.e. didn't get more water coming out when I distrubed joints etc so think the whole system was empty) refilled it, fired up the system and, although all radiators filled up and bled OK, they didn't get hot. The hot water works fine though. Piping around the pump and tank gets too hot to touch. 3 - port valve works fine.

I thought it must be an air lock, so tried blasting some water through the system back to the tank a couple of times but that didn't help. Then I drained down the system via 2 seperate drain valves, but when I went to open the vents in the downstairs radiators all those except for the ones that I was draining from were still full of water ( I opened all vents on upstairs radiators). I then broke a joint on every radaitor and emptied them all, including both feed and return pipes. I then refilled the system but still no circulation although, again, it gets hot round the pump.

Pumps appears to be working - certainly making a noise - but I was wondering if this could be the motor humming, even if the spindle isn't turning. After draining, I can hear rushing water though? I also turned the disc I could feel (but can't see - space is tight in the airing cupboard!) on the side of the pump and it seemed to fire up having been silent.

I replaced radiators virtually like for like in terms of heat output, although the two downstairs ones are ladders rather than traditional panel ones (trying to free up wall space for cupboards).

The system is 10mm micro bore, I guess off manifolds but haven't lifted boards upstairs to check. The house is 5 years old, although we are only just moving in right now so am not too familiar with the system.

I guess my gut feel is that the problem is with the pump, but as everything was working OK before I started the work was thinking it might be some sort of blockage? If it is a blockage or airlock is there anything else I should be doing to try and fix it? Final thing, if I drain water off from the downstairs radiators with the system on I can get warm water to the outlet, but then it just cools down, so looks like it isn't circulating?

Any help would be much appreciated - we are due to move in this weekend and with a 2 year old and a 3 month old baby the missus is keen that the heating is working!

Sponsored Links
Close all rads bar one. If no circulation then dud pump or blockage.
If just a blockage, some rads will work.
Blockage = air or sludge.
Sludge wears pumps out, so, with your other work done, it's looking likely to be that.

Thanks Chris & Mandate for the posts.

Did try closing all the rads but one, and it didn't get warm. Cracked a joint again and let it run until water got warm, radiator then got hot (presumably because the hot water filled the radiator) but soon went cold again - again suggesting no circulation?

But - doh! - no I didn't drain the pump. I assumed it would just get drained by passing water. I guess I drain pump by sticking a slot head screwdriver in the big brass front slot on the face? Can I do this with the system full if I close the valve either side, or do I need to drain again?

Thanks for the help so far!

MC

Sponsored Links
Yes just undo the central screw - it should dribble, or squirt. You can then also check the shaft is spinning by inserting a screwdriver. Unless it's the blue ones with a hexagonal knob you unscrew and pull a bit, then twist.

I AM A POTTERTON 80 PUMA AND WHEN WE SWITCH IT OFF MANUALLY THE PRESSURE DROPS TO ZERO AND THEREFORE THE BOILER THEN GOES TO LOCKOUT, IF WE LEAVE THE BOILER ON THE PRESSURE WILL ONLY DROP BY 1/2 BAR. WE HAVE CHECKED AND CANT FIND ANY LEAKS SO, HAS ANYBODY GOT ANY IDEAS ?????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back