central heating/water boiler problems -Potterton boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
I have a Potterton PrimaF boiler which heats up the hot water, and operates the central heating system.
Sometimes the boiler will come on, but most of the time it will not come on - when the system is switched on.
I have already checked that the room thermostat is set to maximum.

- If we just deal with the hot water issue first.
Sometimes if i turn the control panel off, and press the reset button on the bottom of the boiler, and then turn on the hot water the boiler will light; but most of the time it will not light.
Can anyone help?

Also, sometimes if the hot water side of the system is working and then i switch on the central heating, the boiler will switch off, but somtimes it works for a while (say a few hours - or a day or so).

Thanks

PS - i think it may be the 40f model.
I just switched off the timer.
Turned the knob on the front of the boiler to zero (which i think is the boiler thermostat).
Pressed the reset button at the bottom on the boiler.
On the timer, I turned the hot water on (manually).
Turned the boiler knob to the number 3 setting.
And the boiler has come on and the hot water is heating up.
I'll leave the heat off for the time being, becuse I think the boiler might switch off if I turn the heating on at the timer control panel.
Update - the boiler went out about 5 to 15 minutes after the boiler came on, and now it will not light at all.

Any thoughts?
Also, if the whole thing is switched off, is it ok to remove the cover on the boiler to see what fits where?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back