Central Heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Info not much use when I want to fit a bigger rad and therefore drain down the system

Sponsored Links
A fairly easy job but I need to know what type of system you have? ie what type of hot water cylinder? Direct or Indirect or primatic? What type of boiler you have is the boiler a combination or condensing type is the system pressurised?
To recognise a pressurised system you won't have a feed and expansion tank in your loft but you may have a blue or red expansion vessel in your airing cupboard and a water pressure guage on the boiler.
If your hot cylinder is a primatic/single feed you cant add any more rads or make existing ones larger. Knowing what type of system you have will affect the draining down and refilling of the system.To drain down a conventional system:-
1 Shutdown the boiler by switching off the time clock and turning the room stat to zero to prevent the boiler firing with no water in it isolate the water supply to the f&e tank by tying up the ball valve then on the ground floor somwhere should be a drain cock on the rad near a door preferably if not the one on the boiler will have to do connect a hosepipe to it and open the valve while it is draining go around all the other rads and open the bleed valves to assist draining down but dont forget to do them up before refilling when new rad fitted refill system and go around all rads starting with the ground floor venting them you'll need a vent key to do this check for leaks on your new pipework if all is ok fire up the boiler checking that all radiators heat up properly and dont have cold spots.
I hope this is of help to you John.

Thank you very much. I didn't expect a detailed response; more a reason why the site couldn't carry such information. I got on with the job but didn't switch the hot water off; only the central heating ie on the boiler control unit. I didn't hurry and some time after I had drained down I had a hell of a noise from the pump in the airing cupboard. So I shut every thing off quickly.
I have done the job and all seems to be ok.
Thanks again.

John Clark

yiu don`t say where the system is drained to not into the garden or road drains i hope!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Is there any difference if you drain down a primatic system if so could anyone advise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back