Ceramic Hob no longer working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm a complete electrics amateur, coming to you all first for some advice. In my kitchen we have a separate electric cooker and hob (Schott Ceran ceramic hob is all the information I have) These were already in the house and we have no booklets or manuals.

They have been working fine for well over a year, but earlier this week the hob suddenly had no power. I managed to pop it out of the worktop and noticed that they were both just plugged in to a double socket at the back (is this correct ?)

I changed the 13 amp fuse in the hob plug, and it worked ok ... for a day. It stopped again so I changed to another fuse, but now nothing.

Is it likely that the hob is now fit for the bin, or is just a wiring issue that a professional could sort ?

Sponsored Links
the hob takes far more power than a 13A plug can provide. It is not correct. You need a new cooker circuit which an electrician can install. Or a gas hob.

the double socket wil have been overloaded and may have been damaged inside by heat.

You hob is quite likely to be OK.

buddster said:
I managed to pop it out of the worktop and noticed that they were both just plugged in to a double socket at the back (is this correct ?)
Try to track down the guy who did this and sue his ass.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back