Ceramic Hob Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just purchased a replacement SMEG hob model SE2641TC1.

As you can see from the attached photo there is a sticker across the terminal board which states "Warning: Not to be used for the wiring connection".

There also appears to be cabling already present; it looks like 1.5mm multistrand stuff; nowhere near the load carrying capacity one would expect is required of a ceramic hob. Certainly its a lot smaller than the 6mm cable that attached to the previous hob and which I was proposing to use.

I'm a little confused, I don't like to ignore Warning stickers and as there is no other way of connected the hob I'm a little stuck. I thought I would ask you fine chaps for suggestions!? Many thanks

Sponsored Links
According to the wiring diagram, you need to connect live to terminals 1, 2 AND 3. Assume these are the left 3.

I assume the sticker is there to cover up the top two terminals. But the wiring diagram there says you should use these.

Contact the manufacturer (or the person who sold it to you, if 2nd hand) to clear up the conflicting information.

Or is the 'not to be used.....' meant to refer to those single insulated wire tails left on the terminals, presumably left over from testing in the factory?

At least it looks like the links for the three live terminals are present, clipped inside the cover.

Or is the 'not to be used.....' meant to refer to those single insulated wire tails left on the terminals, presumably left over from testing in the factory?

At least it looks like the links for the three live terminals are present, clipped inside the cover.

Thanks guys.

I must admit that was my guess; it referred to the cables left attached but didn't want to chance anything.

The only thing that made me wonder was that the sticker was originally across the plastic cover to the box, in opening I have moved it a little so not sure if it refers to any terminals specifically. If it referred to the cable why didnt it say so or at least have it stuck across the them!

It was a new unit so I will give SMEG a call. (and the plain English society!)

Thanks once again I'll let you know what comes back.

Sponsored Links
Just spoken to SMEG.

TicklyT was spot on.

It refers to the cables left over from the factory test.

Customer relations said they get a called all the time about this and are in the process of having the wording changed. Oh SMEG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back