CH overflow dripping when water turned on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a central heating system which comprises of a Baxi Bermuda GF 552 gas fire which also powers the central heating and the hot water. Upstairs in the loft is a water tank which supplies water to this system. In the bathroom is a hot water tank cylinder. The system can be used as follows: central heating only, hot water only or both together.
The problem is that when the hot water ONLY is selected we are getting dripping of water from the overflow pipe of the tank in the loft. I know there is a pipe that goes up to that tank as a safety vent for the hot water system. It does not do this when heating only is used, nor when heating and water is used. Also it seems intermittent as this does not occur every time. The gas fire boiler unit was serviced 2 weeks ago and the man who did the job seemed to think that it would be the washer in the ball valve of the tank in the loft that needed replacing. However, I understand how ball valves work and my thought is surely if it was this it would be doing it all the time regardless of whether heating or water was switched on. I can easily replace a washer on a ball valve, although I am no expert, but I suspect it is something more. There is no problems at all with the system otherwise, such as banging, hissing etc, it works perfectly OK. Any help or comments would be gratefully appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You decided not to rewasher the ball valve then?

How high is the water level in the F&E tank when the boiler is off - nearly up to the overflow?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back