Chance of this mess being live?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At the health club I go to (the same one with the odd looking IP CAM), outside the main entrance what backs on to a main road, there is this electrical mess.

I am wondering if it is still live and being used to turn on the surrounding bollard/sign lights at dusk, or whether it has been left there from a old installation and is in fact dead. Been like it for a while IIRC, Maybe I will bring my non-contact voltage detector next time?

Regards: Elliott.

Sponsored Links
Good idea flameport, but I really hope it's dead with the state that it is in.

Sponsored Links
I suspect it was a very neat job once.

It amazes me how things get damaged like that, and more importantly, get left like that.

Have recently been involved in a similar job, where an intact installation suddenly gets yanked about by a groundworker, breaking the plastic enclosure and pulling the SWA out of the gland. Next thing I know, ground block paved, and an armoured cable now too short to reach it's broken enclosure.

I wouldn't mind betting the installation in your pic is live.

I'd like to think to you could report it to someone helpful at your health club and it would get put right but.......................................................................................................

I wouldn't mind betting the installation in your pic is live. ... I'd like to think to you could report it to someone helpful at your health club and it would get put right but.......................................................................................................
The presence of some PVC tape suggests that someone has already become aware of at least part of the problem, but has not made any serious attempt to fix it properly.

Kind Regards, John

It's surely been hit by a car to cause that. We could probably debate whether mounting it like that so close to a car park was a good idea regarding suitability for the likely conditions. Being hit could have been forseen given it only needs one driver to drive over the grass!
Whoever repairs it should bring the pole up to eye level at least as a marker for future reversing drivers!

You can see the broken plastic bracket where the photocell was originally.
we do pubs and see stuff like that all the time, we even put cages over the lights and often see them run over, as well as people kicking them for fun, or just the gardeners bashing them about with there mowers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back