Change bath shape

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to have a new bath fitted, is there any reason I can't change the existing bath for a P shaped bath like the one in my album?

It will fit length and width ways but would there be a problem with the pipework?
How much would be a good price for a Plumber to fit the bath?

//www.diynot.com/network/bluenun20/albums/

Sponsored Links
No problem fitting it, pipework might have to change slightly but not a big job. Price will depend on how much work you want him to do, remove old bath, tiling, etc.

Thanks for the reply.

It looks like the bath was fitted and then tiled afterwards.
I am planning on taking the old tiles off the walls, turn the stop cock off in the Kitchen and try to take the old bath out.

I assume I will need to drain the hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard first and also drain the tank in the loft?

I am not confident with plumbing in the new bath to the existing copper pipes myself. Should/could plastic flexi fitting be attached to the copper pipes and onto the new bath taps?

Sponsored Links
Have you looked at the pipework arrangement underneath the bath?

There might be two isolating valves that will cut off the supply to the bath, allowing you to modify the pipework without shutting away the supplies to else where.

Personally, since the pipework only has to feed the hot and cold supply to the bath, I would just get the plumber to do it all in copper soldered joints, unless you are happy with having screwed / compression fittings under the bath that you cannot see?

As squeaky says, it's not a big job just to re-route the existing pipework.

Thanks for the reply.

I have looked underneath the bath, there are no isolating valves there.

In the airing cupboard that is in the bathroom (the other end from the taps) there is a red circular isolating valve to shut off the cold water coming from the tank in the loft.

There is also a red circular isolating valve in the airing cupboard to shut off the water coming from the loft to the hot water cylinder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back