Change in hot water flow?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Daughter's flat is on one level with hot water cylinder in hall cupboard with water tank on frame above. Pre new kitchen installation there was reasonable hot water flow ( not expecting miracles because all on one level) but since then we have gone from reasonable flow to literal dribble and now ( after mentioning it to kitchen company) to better flow but not as good as was. How do we deal with this? Are we expecting too much ( the flow will fill a basin but not super speedily)? Should I try Tom's plumbing tips re hot water flow via mixer tap or will that do more harm than good?

Help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
What type of tap did you fit? Is it designed for low pressure systems?

If its got flexi tails connecting the tap to the pipes, these can be only 10mm bore, which can restrict flow on low pressure systems.

Also, isolation valves that aren't full bore can also have an affect on flow.

Any one or a combination of these factors can give the symptoms that you are having.

What type of tap did you fit? Is it designed for low pressure systems?

If its got flexi tails connecting the tap to the pipes, these can be only 10mm bore, which can restrict flow on low pressure systems.

Also, isolation valves that aren't full bore can also have an affect on flow.

Any one or a combination of these factors can give the symptoms that you are having.

I have to say I have no idea if it is suitable for a low pressure system or not. Its a sort of swan neck affair with cold tap on RHS and hot on LHS ( no surprise, eh). I sort of thought the fitters would have advised if it wasn't suitable, but there you go. I suppose we should be grateful that it has improved from what it was before. The cold has certainly improved whatever the plumber has done.
The plumbing beneath the sink is the white plastic stuff and the isolation valves are wee round faced jobs with the arrows impress onto the front. See how she gets on, but if the water is going cold just waiting for the basin to fill then we'll have to create, methinks.

Thanks for your help Whitespirit66

Sponsored Links
Also, make sure that any stop taps and the isolation valves are turned on fully.

I'll check whenI'm next through although I'm pretty sure they are on fully. The running of the hot tap in the bathroom used to result in horrendous hammering in the cylinder cupboard....could this be linked?

Thanks again tho'.

Hi

Are other hot taps affected?

Flow remains the same in the bathroom but it is/was the one with the problem of hammering after use. Taps were also changed in the bathroom BTW.

Will try and check everything out at the weekend.

Thanks tincup

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back