Change of layout - Drawings for Building Regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

New to this and in need of some advice.

I'm currently looking at converting my flat as per the attached plans. I've got provisional OK from my building control company providing I use a sprinkler system to mitigate fire risk of creating inner rooms.

I now need to start looking at getting proper building regs plans drawn up. Do these need to be full plans? What level of detail is required? Any advice on getting this done and keeping cost down?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/bu...ogetapproval/bcpresiteapproval/buildingnotice
vs
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/bu.../howtogetapproval/bcpresiteapproval/fullplans

You can engage a private inspector and proceed however he wants to, which may be under a more Building Notice style way of working

You'd be well advised to consider the cost vs the value of plans. If you skip drawing plans "to save on cost" and then your builder builds something you didn't want based on what he understood from your verbal description of works, you'll get into a dispute/remedial course of action that will cost far more than having a 100% accurate spec of what you want from the outset - preventing this is the *value* of plans

Sponsored Links
If you are not making the fire-safety/means-of-escape situation any worse, would you need to make a Building Regs application?

If you are not making the fire-safety/means-of-escape situation any worse, would you need to make a Building Regs application?

I thought if I was moving the kitchen and bathroom to another location I'd have to .. No?

No, as long as the fire situation is no worse, it's not a material alteration.

You've already got a kitchen and bathroom, so it's not as though you are undertaking new installations. Assume no structural alterations to the walls?

Got adequate mechanical ventilation to the re-positioned bathroom and kitchen?

Then you're good to go.

No, as long as the fire situation is no worse, it's not a material alteration.

You've already got a kitchen and bathroom, so it's not as though you are undertaking new installations. Assume no structural alterations to the walls?

Got adequate mechanical ventilation to the re-positioned bathroom and kitchen?

Then you're good to go.

Thanks for your help on this. By no structural alterations to walls, does this include internal walls? Because pretty much all the internal walls will be removed and replaced with new ones in different locations. They are not structural walls though.

Isn't having the only exit route through a high risk kitchen making the situation worse? Much worse?

Isn't having the only exit route through a high risk kitchen making the situation worse? Much worse?

Yes, it would in that case; I was looking at his plan submitted at 3.57pm, which shows separation.

Yes, it would in that case; I was looking at his plan submitted at 3.57pm, which shows separation.

Woody, can you comment on the plans posted at 3.57 (with protected hallway and stairway)? Do these alterations need building regs sign off?.Tony1851 says not..If that's the case that's good news.

Thanks both for your input.

With self-closing fire doors to the kitchen and living room then that does not seem any worse than the first plan, and if so should not normally require b/regs approval.

But as this is part of a block, there may be other considerations, so it's always best to get the opinion of a building inspector first, and tell him how this fits in with the rest of the block.

Do you also need permission from the building owner?

With self-closing fire doors to the kitchen and living room then that does not seem any worse than the first plan, and if so should not normally require b/regs approval.

But as this is part of a block, there may be other considerations, so it's always best to get the opinion of a building inspector first, and tell him how this fits in with the rest of the block.

Do you also need permission from the building owner?

I'll double check with council I think. Need permission to yes
Thanks for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back