Changing a tap washer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if anyone could advise how I would be able to change the washer on my tap, to stop limescale crudding it up and making it drip out onto the worktop every time we use it. The following pictures show the tap:

IMG_20110117_191233.jpg

IMG_20110117_191206.jpg

IMG_20110117_191152.jpg

IMG_20110117_191140.jpg

IMG_20110117_191131.jpg

I can see that from the connection under the sink there are two bolts that would undo the tap from the worktop, but is there a way to take the top off the tap to get to the washer? I can't see any little grub screws anywhere obvious.

Ta :)

Sponsored Links
I think lever action taps are usually Ceramic Disks and not Rubber Washers, and are generally harder to change, not 100% as dont deal so much with plumbing anymore only heating, sorry :confused:

If you prise out the blue and red circle with a sharp screwdriver, and use an allen key you can remove the tap lever and check the cartridge and barrel casing are done up tight. This can be done without removing the tap. Otherwise, try opening it up and cleaning it out.

However, I usually end up replacing the tap.

Sponsored Links
If you prise out the blue and red circle with a sharp screwdriver, and use an allen key you can remove the tap lever and check the cartridge and barrel casing are done up tight. This can be done without removing the tap. Otherwise, try opening it up and cleaning it out.

However, I usually end up replacing the tap.

Wow, late getting back to this. I have taken the cap off and unscrewed the allen key, which was caked in scale but I cannot work out how to get the tap lever off. Should it just lift straight up, or do I have to have it turned to a particular position etc?

Ta

If you have removed the allen screw the handle should lift straight off no need to be in a certain position.This will expose the top of the cartridge.
The cartridge usually has a retaining nut which you undo to enable you to remove the cartridge.Make sure you have isolated the hot and cold to the tap first.
If you know the make of tap you may be able to replace cartridge if you can get one.
There are also large O rings around the swivel part of the tap that leak through wear.
By the time you have had to source the cartridge, O rings and the cost of same it is usually cheaper and quicker to replace tap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back