changing exterior door lock problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello
new to here

it supposed to be an easy job, but when i follow the cylinder replace instructions, it doesn't

its an old upvc door, fitted probably 1995.

915420411.jpg

885599477.jpg

291392157.jpg

385604882.jpg

there is no long screw on the panel compared typical euro cylinder on ebay. even on this stage(as photo,and the screw on the driver is about 1cm) i still couldn't remove the cylinder by pushing or other method( should i hammer it out??)

what i want to do is to change the lock by the cheapest way , any advice??

cheers

Sponsored Links
Undo the screw fixing the barrel/cylinder in place. Just below the latch bolt. The screw is normally about 50mm long. No need for handles to be undone or removed.
Then once this screw out, the best way for the cylinder to slip out is by having the key in the lock then a bit a tweaking in to position and will come out.

That isn't the barrel retaing screw :D , look in the hole below it and you should see an hex for an allen key, remove this as it were the screw and take barrel out.

With the door open, lift the handle as though you were locking the door, my guess is that the hole gets covered by the sliding action of the internal gubbins, this is why its a long grub screw, so it can be tightened right in so it doesn't foul the mechanism

Sponsored Links
Key needs to be in correct place for barrel to be removed, use the new barrel and key as a guide.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back