Changing from a council building inspector to a private one.

For this kind of project, I'm not convinced that there's a whole lot of difference between the AI and LABC routes - but I'd be interested to hear others' views on it.

A lot of AIs used to be LABIs and there's a general impression among the AI community that when becoming an AI was made possible, many of the LABIs worth their salt did just that, for reasons such as they were attracted to a greater variety of work, more money, closer customer relations or didn't like council mindset. Apparently then, that leaves behind people who for one reason or another didn't want to jump ship, the general perception being that they were either close to retiring and didn't want to jeopardise that or they just couldn't hack it out in a competitive commercial world. Ask your AI a bit about his work history; if he's ex council, ask why.

I'm ambivalent. In one county south of here I'm on my second house with the same council inspector and he is absolutely fantastic, helpful, looks for solutions and saves me money nearly every time he walks onto the job. In another county I've got an AI who is brilliant, old school and interprets the regulations and law in a very sensible fashion and I'll probably use him again because he crosses many county boundaries in his working range.

Ultimately there may well not be much difference between AIs and LABIs, though you CAN choose your AI, but if your money goes to the council they seem to choose the person you'll work with. If nothing else, this could be the most significant difference on any project

Sponsored Links
Yes, they are a mixed bunch but I have to say that the couple of local authorities I regularly deal with all seem fine, helpful and proactive, all except for Torquay, for which both Planning and Building Control are utter shoite. :p

I think you can go from Private to LA but not the other way round. Not 100% sure though tbh.

That's my thinking too, though there may be some flexibility as I was told one can only go from private to LA, but I went from private to private.. It's likely whatever the la is happy with

Sponsored Links
Yes, they are a mixed bunch but I have to say that the couple of local authorities I regularly deal with all seem fine, helpful and proactive, all except for Torquay, for which both Planning and Building Control are utter shoite. :p
Indeed, and if the authorities had set up in true competition with independents and were allowed to go cross county borders I don't think I'd have my current AI cos id be using my guy from Blackburn.. That said, I now know a great AI and he can go anywhere so..

Tis a shame for the ATs, they have to work with whomever the client has naively picked! Unless sorting out building control is a value added service and you can make the choice :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back