Changing out an intermediate light switch for a new one

Sponsored Links
FYI - The new switch is a Retrotouch model

This is not the wiring diagram for a Retrotouch switch.

screenshot_568.jpg

I believe it is, I was sent this from Retrotouch when I questioned the set up with them

Attachments

• RTS2005 intermediate wiring diagram.pdf
    171.7 KB · Views: 530
Is the new one a 2-gang switch? The wiring diagram you posted seems to suggest that it's a 2-gang 2-way switch, and not an intermediate switch of any sort.

Please see images of the exact switch

Attachments

• IMG_2467.JPG
    IMG_2467.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_2468.JPG
    IMG_2468.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 449
Sponsored Links
What terminal block?
The one that links the Common of the first two way with the Common of the second two way, normally housed in the backbox of the intermediate switch. You can see it in the picture.
FWIW, I'm also lost!

Kind Regards, John
JohnW2 - I'm confused - why are you lost?
//www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:intermediate_chocknonharm
The way I see this 'intermediate?' switch by retrotouch incorporates the Com link (terminal block) into the switch itself therefore doing away with the need for a terminal block.
Or am I missing something here - or is a large drink and a dark room needed.:(

I believe it is, I was sent this from Retrotouch when I questioned the set up with them
Apologies - it seems I wasn't paying enough attention and conflated the make "Retrotouch" with the touch models.

However that diagram is clearly not that of either a Retrotouch intermediate rocker switch:

screenshot_574.jpg

or a Retrotouch touch switch:

screenshot_572.jpg

And as for the back of the switch in your photo being the terminals for a 1-gang intermediate, do you know what they have done? They have taken a 2-gang 2-way and fitted a wide rocker to it so that both gangs work together, and they tell you to wire it with the L1/L2 cross-links as shown so that it mimics the behaviour of a 1-gang intermediate.

Words fail me.

But then this tells us a lot:

screenshot_573.jpg

It tells us that it was made by someone who doesn't really know what's required, or doesn't care if it means he can drive down manufacturing costs.
It tells us that it was probably made by someone who doesn't care about safety.
And the lack of a CE mark tells us that it should not be on sale in this country.

Cheap on eBay, was it?

I would imagine in your situation you ignore the Com and just connect the L1 1 (old L1 in) and L1 2(old L2 out) and L2 1(old L3 in) and L2 2 (old L4 out).

The comment above may explain why this hasn't worked :(

JohnW2 - I'm confused - why are you lost?
Don't know if he is, but you are. ;)

The way I see this 'intermediate?' switch by retrotouch incorporates the Com link (terminal block) into the switch itself therefore doing away with the need for a terminal block.
No it doesn't.

Or am I missing something here
Yes.

or is a large drink and a dark room needed.:(
No - what you need is to draw a 2-gang 2-way switch, with L1A linked to L2B and vice versa, your two "incoming" conductors going to the COMs, and see how it behaves when you operate both gangs together.

I haven't come across that type of switch before, but I would imagine in your situation you ignore the Com and just connect the L1 1 (old L1 in) and L1 2(old L2 out) and L2 1(old L3 in) and L2 2 (old L4 out).
No, that won't work - it has to be wired as shown.

what you need is to draw a 2-gang 2-way switch, with L1A linked to L2B and vice versa, your two "incoming" conductors going to the COMs, and see how it behaves when you operate both gangs together.
So the wiki link is wrong then?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back