Changing the fill valve - brass or plastic shank

• Thread starter Deleted member 226313
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 226313

I need to change the bottom entry fill valve. It currently has a plastic shank connected to a plastic speedfit tap connector.

I've read on here that the Fluidmaster fill valve is good and it's best with the brass shank to avoid the risk of threading.

But I've also read you shouldn't put a plastic nut (in my case from the tap connector) onto a brass shank as it may split the nut.

So am I better going with a plastic shank and just being really careful? I'd like to change as little as possible as plumbing is not my best subject.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
But I've also read you shouldn't put a plastic nut (in my case from the tap connector) onto a brass shank as it may split the nut.

Nothing wrong with that. Plastic tap connectors are used quite often and taps have brass threads.

Nothing wrong with that. Plastic tap connectors are used quite often and taps have brass threads.

Ok thanks. So you'd go for the brass shank version? I'd just need that and a new fibre washer and good to go?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back