Changing the location of my phone line

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

I have a semi detached property and the phone line which comes froma pole in the street come it from the side of the property, just above the drive onto the side.

The issue I have now is that the phone line is in a room upstairs, my baby's room to be precise, now I dont want him waking up everytime the phone rings. As the previous owners used NTL line which was wired downstairs, I use ADSL which is BT and that is wired upstairs. I just wanted to know what the easiest way to transfer the wires.

The options that spring to mind is to either transfer the wiring from outside via the side walls and then into the propety (its a chalet semi) so the entrance is from the side and then make it go under the floor boards

OR

I see a phone line socket as soon as you come in, the line is not live, and I dont know where the cable is coming from.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I am having laminate flooring fitted and hence its a good time to bury cables.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
BT own the external drop-10 cable and the master socket in the bedroom, so you can't touch the cable or the backplate (officially). You can remove the faceplate from the master socket and there is a punchdown plate for running extensions off. Then you can run a cable via whichever route you like.

Other options include: cordless phone. It might really annoy you having to recharge it in the bedroom, although you could buy a second charging unit.

If you already have cat5 around, you could look at using VoIP. It's even possible to get a wifi VoIP phone or just a cabled phone that connects to the PSTN line. Can't think off the top of my head if you can do it with an off the shelf "black box'.

You could of course just do away with the phone and use a mobile.

All true but a cordless or mobile won't help with his ADSL......

As suggested, run an extension from the BT master upstairs and terminate it in a socket wherever you choose. You can then plug in your broadband and telephone.

;)

Sponsored Links
Depends if the OP only has wireless devices or not.

Fair comment but I was assuming he has the usual BT box which needs to be plugged in to make it all work. IMHO, BT setup is not good through walls...

I had a similar issue but the reverse (master socket downstairs but study upstairs) I ran new cable from the master (as you suggested to the OP) to the upstairs and fitted a new socket. Plugged in my ADSL and telephone. Job done.

You are correct of course in that we don't know what set-up the OP has.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Use a outdoor 'Sausage' and buy some CW1308 and extend to convenient place downstairs, join the cable in the external box using some 3M jelly crimps.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WATERPROO...Phones_PhoneLeads_RL&hash=item3cd69cfccd[url]
[/url]

Please be mindful that the cable before the master socket is the property of BT. They'll likely be p****d if you interfere with it. Putting a joining kit on it is a bit of a give away!

BT Use this method of joining anyway and would be hard to notice aslong as it's done neatly, know a few engineers.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Use a outdoor 'Sausage' and buy some CW1308 and extend to convenient place downstairs, join the cable in the external box using some 3M jelly crimps.

CW1308B would be needed if outdoor.

If the incoming cable is drop wire then this type of box is the prefered method
3122d1334422286-help-confirming-correct-install-config-wiring-photo.jpg

As others have said altering BT ( OpenReach ) property is not a good idea.

Leave the existing Master where it is, fit a filter front plate to separate telephone from ADSL and wire each to where you need it.

Do not rely on cordless phones. They are no use in a power cut.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back