Channeling wires in ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to get three 2.5 thick wires into the gap between two plasterboard's in about an inch of space and 5cm of depth but the wires keep falling out at one end and it's hard to push them snug all in, should I chip away at the plasterboard to give more room and how can I keep the wires from falling out the channel?

Sponsored Links
Is this ceiling or wall?

If it's ceiling and the joists are running in the same direction as your cable run, why not drill a hole through the plasterboard and push the cable over the top. The trick is in "catching" the other end and pulling it through the exit hole. Professionals use a "fishing" tape or rod as a kind of needle and tape the cable/wires to the back end.

You could use a piece of trunking lid, an old curtain track, a length of fibreglass rod, a fibreglass tent pole with all the joins taped up ('cos you can't pull it otherwise), stiff garden wire or even a tape measure (pusing it the other way and then pulling the cable/wires through.

There are many tricks for pulling the front end through the exit hole including a straightened wire coat hanger with a small hook bent on the end (put through the hole and crank it to catch the cable) or a loop of thin wire poked through the hole, used like a (sewing) needle threader.

You can use the same trick with a wall but, if the plasterboard is "dot and dab", you might hit a big blob of adhesive. In this case, it might be easier to chase the plasterboard through the blob and make good afterwards.

If I've misunderstood you completely, just hack away the plasterboard, fix the wires with a nail-in cable clip and tidy it all up with one-coat plaster (2 coats?!?)

Hi thanks for the advice. It was a ceiling, I had to do what you said about pushing the cables up and then make them so that they were so tight it gripped against the plasterboards, after that I cut some oak wood panels and drilled them up so it forced the cables in the channel and after a couple of drilling it managed to fit nicely, but one of the oak wood panels are lower at one end and I've got no screw fixings or beams to use so ill have to stick glue behind it and press it up with a pole for a couple of hours to dry and hopefully that will sort it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back