Chasing copper pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in 1930s semi. The water main is lead and runs up the corner of the house on the inside. Some time ago the lead pipe sprang a leak. The plumber that came to repair it cut the lead pipe and inserted a length of copper pipe to replace the damaged part - approx 6inches. To get at the pipe (it was embedded in the corner of the bathroom) he had to chisel away tiles,plaster and even a small amount of brickwork. I have left it sometime to ensure the repair is reliable but now need to recover/make good the wall. I seem to remember from somewhere that I cannot cement on top of copper piping because of a possible chemical reaction. So my question is - what do I need to cover this small length of copper pipe with prior to covering it with cement/plaster.
I would be very grateful for some advice.

Sponsored Links
If you intend to remain in the property for the for see able future, have you considered replacing all the lead pipe. If it spang a leak once it could go elsewhere.

Agree with above.At the very least, I would ensure that the joints are accessible via a removable panel.
Hope that helps

Sponsored Links
Thanks Diyisfun and RKB for the advice. I know that I should really replace the lot, but I cant really afford it at the moment. I was going to wait till my ancient bolier finally gave up the ghost and do it all in one. My immediate problem at the moment is that 'er indoors is getting rather fed up with looking at a patch of scruffy brickwork in the bathroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back