Chasing pipes in walls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have got this question in the combustion chamber but i am finding different answers on the net and with the regs.I need to fit an electric shower for a family member the house is council owned so every thing has to bang on,I would like to chase MCW pipe in to the wall but not 100% certain if this is allowed under the water regs I did the WRAS course 6 years ago and I always said some of the wording in some of the regs where confusing and could be misinterperated depending on your take of the english language.I have down loaded relevant section from DEFRA Section 2 paragraph 7 states "no fitting shall be embedded in any wall or solid floor"Then G7.3 goes on to say pipes can be installed in a pipe sleeve or duct.Then at the end there are drawings of pipes bedded in a chase wrapped in impermeable tape.If any one can clarify this i would be very grateful.

Sponsored Links
Well the way I see it if you cannot chase shower pipes in the wall the days of the concealed shower valve are over , how else would you pipe them up ?? every manu makes a concealed valve that is designed to be buried in the wall logic must than dictate that the feed pipes to them would also need to be buried , protect them with a suitable tape or use plastic !

Well the way I see it if you cannot chase shower pipes in the wall the days of the concealed shower valve are over , how else would you pipe them up ?? every manu makes a concealed valve that is designed to be buried in the wall logic must than dictate that the feed pipes to them would also need to be buried , protect them with a suitable tape or use plastic !
good point never thought of that thanks for that!

Francis, don't wish to rain on your parade, but are you a fully qualified electrician ? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Ok, cool. As long as the pipework is insulated / protected, you can chase them in. I would advise against any pipe joints in the wall, but other than that it's fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back