Cheaper to run Megaflo constantly or on timer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a all electric Megaflo and it has been suggested to me that it makes very little difference whether I run it on a timer twice a day or just leave it on constant. The rationalle is that if it's on twice a day the water will cool down between cycles (and therefore need more time to re-heat) whereas if it's on constantly it will just use short (albeit more frequent) cycles.

Any thoughts anyone...?

Sponsored Links
:idea: Thought;

Any warm item "losing" heat to the surroundings has a greater heat loss per unit time at a higher temperature differential.
Therefore keeping it at a higher temperature will always mean a greater number of heat units lost vs. allowing to cool (this would never involve losing more units of heat than maintaining the temperature by replacing these units), and re-heating when required.

An electric heater isn't like a boiler, where there's a more efficient condensing mode. Efficiency is more or less constant for your purposes. You could in fact argue the frequent switching of a thermostat will wear that out faster!

Of course; the advantage of maintaining temperature is simply that it is conveniently available. But then, you have the timer!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back