checking quotes per metre ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
had a couple of quotes for my tiling..but think the tiler doing my job has over quoted the metres to be tiled ? by 4/5 metres £100 in it or so prob,how do i double check the correct meters ? there is chimney breast to tile around,french doors recess to tile into as part of the l shaped kitchen diner + boiler/understairs cupboards...unless tilers measure/quote differently i may need to pull him on this tbh :eek:

Sponsored Links
The sq/m of tiles required will be equal to the floor area + an allowance for cuts/wastage. Standard is + 10% but it may be more depending on tile size, how they are laid & if he expects problems; 4/5 meters seems a lot but how large is the room?

Equally, you may get away with less than 10% if it's a standard rectangular room with one door & no fiddly bits.

richard its 2.75m x 7m in the main kitchen/dining area inc tiling right under the new kitchen to be fitted.so legs sit on tiles + he said finish under kitchen with full tiles less time expense making cuts,and its 2.25 x 1.7m in the return leg of the kitchen..entrance from hallway into the kitchen etc..there is also 2 cupboards to tile into boiler cupboard about 1 metre sq. + understairs 1.2 metre sq. approx... although maybe few cuts to tile into these bit awkward maybe ? is is that part & parcel.. you can add the french doors recess to tile into this although we lose a measured metre tiling around the chimney breast ?

richard its 2.75m x 7m in the main kitchen/dining area inc tiling right under the new kitchen to be fitted.so legs sit on tiles.
You can do it either way; tiling right under the units to the wall is obviously going to be rather more expensive but isn’t really necessary if you have a close fitting plinth. You should still tile where appliances are being fitted & slightly beyond either side or you’ll never get them in & out for servicing but you must allow for the tiles height when installing the units or you won’t get the appliances in.

+ he said finish under kitchen with full tiles less time expense making cuts,
Not sure I follow his logic as you’d just tile under the plinth line to the nearest complete tile, no cutting required; in fact there will be more cutting when fully tiling.

and its 2.25 x 1.7m in the return leg of the kitchen..entrance from hallway into the kitchen etc..there is also 2 cupboards to tile into boiler cupboard about 1 metre sq. + understairs 1.2 metre sq. approx... although maybe few cuts to tile into these bit awkward maybe ? is is that part & parcel.. you can add the french doors recess to tile into this although we lose a measured metre tiling around the chimney breast ?
That’s very small only around 6 sq/m or so, are you saying he’s quoting nearly twice the sq/m of tiles required? :confused:

Sponsored Links
no richard just seems like 4 or 5 metres extra charged than what i measure it at thats all cheers..+ i normally get all my own materials but on this occasion just went along with them getting mapei addy + grout which they gave me a price for...which was £150 for 30 metres (at their measurements) ? i should have stated that id get my own if i thought i could have got it cheaper than this.. does this seem about right or have they put a percentage on top ? also see new thread about my bonded screed loose at the edges :eek:

The only thing that matters is the final price, the notes you hand over. If you are not happy - go elsewhere.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back