Childrens playhouse on stilts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am wanting to buy a playhouse for my children and having found several have settled on the Mad Dash playhouse range.
Ideally i would like the one on stilts as i can then box in the space underneath the playhouse and also use this for storage of bikes/ride ons etc.
However, on contacting the seller was told that the stilts only support around 8 stone. i.e. I cant go into the tree house to clean etc.

I am now thinking of buying a regular playhouse and then raising it up and building a veranda type platform - putting it all on stilts/fence posts.

Does anyone have any advice on how best to do this? i.e. should i do it similar to a raised deck? i.e. 4x4 fence posts,with 5x2 joists for a deck frame, for the house to sit on top. Will this allow me to support a lot more weight than 8 stone?

Sponsored Links
you need planning permision [or is it building regs permission] if its greater than 3m high[10 ft] :rolleyes:

no worriies about that. the house is only 1.5 metres and am only going to raise it by about half a metre.

dependant on size and structure off the house you will need a structure with a support every 1m to 1.5 along the long edge you will need a ladder type frame off somthing like 4x2" or 6x2"timber with spars 18 to 24" appart to support the floor

you wont get many bikes if the space is only knee height :D ;)

Sponsored Links
did one last year, simply built a raised deck on 4 x 4 posts. ill post a picture later. planning told us 4 m to highest point as long as its 2m from any boundary

thanks guys.

any advice and photos appreciated.

I know i wont get many bikes under it, its mainly for my toddlers toy storage i.e. ride on car, bike (lying flat for storage) - not for adult bikes.

I also need to position it next to the border so will check the height regs with planning.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back