Chimney back apron

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a couple of roofers look at my roof. both say the roof is not in too bad a condition. However a bodge of Zinc and some lead has been used on teh chimney cover flashings (front chimney)

The back chimney is much worse and when it rains waters in coming into the loft and is visible on the bedroom wall chimney breast.

My questions are

1) When changing teh back apron - surely you should change the cover flashings as well. The chap I have just had round suggests he will change the back apron for £500 but the cover flashing will be more.

2) I have had a quote for £2980 to remove and relay the whole roof (its a three bed 30's semi) - this would include all new flashing etc. Our friends down the road have had theres done and it looks like a good job.

The first contractor say the rood is in good conditiona nd we should just change the back apron. It just seems bad value to me to pay that much for repointiong ridges tiles and only changing the back aprons. Perhasp I am daft but can he change the aprons and avoid changing the cover flashing round the chimney - To do the cover flashing he was talking £600 cash. all advice very much appreciated

He did advise that in current sub zero temps its a waste of time doing the point as it would crumble - he said leave it till we had a warmer day which seems sensible
Thanks

Sponsored Links
1. It's called a back gutter, ( the apron is at the front of the stack ). Google sheet lead terminology, it will help you to get your point across.

2. As usual, posted pics really help us to help you.

3. Nowadays, many roofers will take photos of their inspection(s) to show the householder. Pics can be printed out and annotated, and used as a contract for work to be performed.

4. Yes, the back gutter can be replaced without replacing the cover flashing.

5. Roof work charges of £200/man/day min. are typical.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back