Chimney breast removal (tied in bricks)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Removing chimney stack from 1930s semi. Goes through middle of house and the roof and loft section has just been removed.

How do I approach this next but where the bricks are tied into bedroom wall?

As its every other row is it best to cut the bricks level with wall?

Will this be acceptable and safe? It will be the same below on the ground floor.

IMG_20150919_112747.jpg

IMG_20150912_162340.jpg

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You might care to look at my posts in the thread: "removing chimney breast from first floor" 22 july 2014?

Why not post pics of the chimney breast on your ground floor and the first floor? Pics that show the c/b in the context of the room?

In answer to your question: a brick chisel will split the c/breast brick just where it joins or ties into the structural wall(s). This is perfectly safe to do.

Thanks!

This is the bedroom

IMG_20150919_102810.jpg

And downstairs it actually goes wider

IMG_20150914_190552.jpg
[/url]

Under floorboards

IMG_20150913_202153.jpg

IMG_20150914_184704.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the pics.

What/where is the last pic showing?

The hearth has previously been removed from the g/floor c/breast.

Everything looks straightforward for removal down to the g/floor.

As above, read my past posts on this kind of job and research the many posts from others. Then, if you want further suggestions come back here.

FWIW: cover everything that cannot be physically removed from the rooms - use dust sheets over all things and floors, paper wont fly.
The base unit might pull out after removing a few screws but the W/T usually would have to stay in place unless you are intending on re-doing the kit cabs etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back